Accountant in Bankruptcy (AiB) is an Agency of the Scottish Government Justice and Communities Directorate. Our general purpose is to supervise the process of sequestration in Scotland, administer the Debt Arrangement Scheme, develop policy for personal and corporate insolvency in Scotland and to ensure that those involved carry out their responsibilities in a proper manner.
Having fully completed the process of relocating to a new building in 2006, we have since been gather information to monitor our environment management system. We have set appropriate targets to lessen our effect on the environment.
We have an impact on the environment in a number of ways and aim to minimise any potentially harmful effects which our business may cause. We are committed to continuous improvements in our environmental performance and ability to reduce pollution.
We will therefore, as a minimum:
1) Meet, and where appropriate, exceed the requirements of legislation and codes of practice
2) Continue to develop and operate environmentally sound waste management procedures to reduce the amount of material sent to landfill sites
3) Continue to recycle materials wherever possible and promote the use of recycling, particularly with materials such as paper, newspapers, magazines, toner cartridges and aluminium cans
4) Promote a purchasing policy with suppliers which will give preference to those products which have been recycled and which will cause least harm to the environment
5) Reduce the amount of energy we consume by continuing to use energy saving measures and by following recognised guidelines and codes of practice in our property management
6) Pursue efficient water management by influencing water usage, monitoring consumption and promoting water conservation
7) Increase the awareness of environmental responsibilities among staff and ensure they have the knowledge and resources to minimise the environmental impact of their work
We will implement these policies through a co-ordinated environmental management system which will monitor our progress and publish statistics in our annual report and accounts.