How do I complain?

How do I complain?

You can complain in person at our office or in writing:

1 Pennyburn Road
KA13 6SA

By phone: 0300 200 2600

By email:

It is easier for us to resolve complaints if you make them quickly and directly to the service concerned. So please talk to a member of our staff at the service you are complaining about. Then they can try to resolve any problems on the spot.

When complaining, tell us:

  • your full name and address
  • as much as you can about the complaint
  • what has gone wrong
  • how you want us to resolve the matter

How long do I have to make a complaint?

Normally, you must make your complaint within six months of:

  • the event you want to complain about, or
  • finding out that you have a reason to complain, but no longer than 12 months after the event itself

In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to accept a complaint after the time limit. If you feel that the time limit should not apply to your complaint, please tell us why.

What happens when I have complained?

We will always tell you who is dealing with your complaint.

Our complaints procedure has two stages: 

Stage one – frontline resolution

We aim to resolve complaints quickly and whenever possible within the area that provided the service. This could mean an on-the-spot apology and explanation if something has clearly gone wrong and immediate action to resolve the problem.

We will give you our decision at Stage 1 in five working days or less, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

If we can’t resolve your complaint at this stage, we will explain why and tell you what you can do next. We might suggest that you take your complaint to Stage 2.

Stage two – investigation

Stage 2 deals with two types of complaint: those that have not been resolved at Stage 1 and those that are complex and require detailed investigation.

At Stage 2 we will:

  • acknowledge receipt of your complaint within three working days
  • where appropriate, discuss your complaint with you to understand why you remain dissatisfied and what outcome you are looking for
  • give you a full response to the complaint as soon as possible and within 20 working days

We will tell you if our investigation will take longer than 20 working days, agree revised time limits with you and keep you updated on progress. 

What if I’m still not satisfied?

After we have fully investigated, if you are still not satisfied with our decision or the way we dealt with your complaint, you can ask the Scottish Public Services Ombudsman (SPSO) to intervene.

The Ombudsman cannot normally look at:

  • a complaint that has not completed our complaints procedure
  • events that happened, or that you became aware of, more than a year ago
  • a matter that has been or is being considered in court

You can contact the Ombudsman:

By post to - Freepost SPSO (this is all you need to write on the envelope,and you don't need to use a stamp)

In person at:

​Bridgeside House​
​99 McDonald Road

​Opening hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday 9am-5pm, Tuesday 10am-5pm.

By phone on - SPSO freephone: 0800 377 7330
SPSO website:
You can fil in an SPSO complaints form online at